"Holly" - Hooked!
When Joan and John Ward took their dog "Holly" to enjoy a lovely stroll around Bosworth Water Park recently they never anticipated the potential hazards. Whilst her owners were distracted by an angler who was reeling in a lively catch, "Holly" took the opportunity to gorge on the banquet of baits left unattended that are used to entice fish to the angler's hook.
It was only moments later when her owners noticed that she had become attached to a fishing rod did they realise the scale of the problem. Sensibly, they stopped the angler from attempting to withdraw the hook and line by forced retraction. Instead, they cut the line, bundled "Holly" into the car and took her to Fairfield.
Radiographs confirmed that Holly had become a victim of the "seefood" diet. Unfortunately, several attempts to remove the hook endoscopically were unsuccessful. With the hook deeply embedded within the stomach wall and surrounded by semi digested pieces of bait the only option was to surgically open her abdomen, gain entry through the stomach wall and retrived the offending item before it caused any further damage. Fortunately, the Fairfield team were up to the task and breathed a communal sigh of relief when the hook and line was finally removed and "Holly" sewn back together.
A few weeks later and Holly is back to her old self although she does suspect something fishy is going on at Bosworth Water Park where she remains on a very tight leash!