51 Leicester Road Hinckley Leicestershire LE10 1LW

Email: enquiries@fairfieldvets.co.uk

Fairfield Pet Stories

Fairfield Veterinary surgeons Terry Dunne and Geraldine Young write "Interesting Pet Stories" articles for the Hinckley Herald, published by the Hinckley Times.

View our Pet Stories below from dogs, cats and all kinds of other pets and wildlife. The stories are all genuine cases from the Fairfield archives.
Warning: Some images may be upsetting for some viewers.

View our archive Pet Stories Here

"Sashca" - Chocolate Poisoning

The Festive Season probably wouldn't be quite the same without it but, the sheer volume of chocolate in all it's guises readily available to our canine patients can pose a significant problem at this time.

Only a few days ago, "Sashca" was rushed into the Fairfield Veterinary Centre after consuming a whole box of chilli chocolates. A well recognised toxin in canine patients, owners are usually quite aware of the potential hazards.

Recognising the risk her owners contacted the practice for advice. Given the volume consumed it was advised to bring her in to the practice immediately where a fast acting emetic agent was administered by injection.

This "treatment" (apomorphine) causes the patient to vomit persistently for 10 to15 minutes very soon after being given. Fortunately, in this case the potential hazards were soon "out of her system" and quickly cleared away by the nursing team lest she should contemplate another tasty morsel.

The "active ingredient" in chocolate is theobromine, a drug quite similar to caffeine with which most people are familiar. Contained within the cocoa solids it is found in highest concentrations in dark chocolate and cocoa powder.

White "chocolate" in contrast is practically harmless. Symptoms of "theobromine" toxicity include vomiting , diarrhoea, restlessness, abdominal pain, convulsions and heart arrythmias.

Most fatalities in dogs are in fact where cocoa powder or cocoa shell mulch has been consumed, so gardeners with dogs should also take note.

Anyone considering a Christmas present for their dog would do well to consider buying a box of soda crystals.

This cheap and easily purchased product, when mixed with water, is another method of inducing vomiting in your canine companion and where veterinary access may be more limited over the festive season might just save it's life!

As for myself, I will be applying a risk benefit analysis to a number of toxins over the festive season and hope to achieve the perfect balance!

Terry Dunne
BVMS, Cert SAO, MRCVS

"Cassy Abbot" - Thorn in the Eye
"Sicilian Fox" - Living Safely on a Volcano!

How to find us

Fairfield Veterinary Centre

51 Leicester Road,
Hinckley,
Leicestershire
LE10 1LW

Tel: 01455 637 642
Fax: 01455 631 898

enquiries@fairfieldvets.co.uk

Emergency Number
0116 255 6360

Get in touch